The Burning House Project: support and relief



With the events of the Fort McMurray fires I am reminded of the site of "The Burning House"; the artistic response to the question of what would you bring with you if you had to leave your house? I cannot even begin to imagine how devastating an evacuation would be, so as I am thinking hard about what I would grab with only 30 minutes... or 10 minutes... or 5 minutes notice.


theburninghouse.com

In Alberta, we have had our share of natural disasters over the past years, it is terrifying to see communities face such devastation. When I think of leaving my house with the basics, probably my diaper bag, and maybe a backup drive, a passport, and all the people, the panic of wipes and diapers sets in. There are a predicted 80,000 people who are going to need relief and many who will need to rebuild. But the first thing that they all need is relief: safety, food, water, basics... and then together we can look forward to figuring out how to reestablish the community.

I hope many will join me in contributing to the Canadian Red Cross as a first step.

Comments

Popular Posts