The Nursery


This project, for me, was a difficult one. Partially due to babe coming a bit earlier than expected, the nursery is still getting the "final touches" put into place.

Paint colour wise, we went with a fairly gender neutral choice (at least in my opinion). When we first moved in we painted every piece of drywall upstairs, and to ensure that the house felt cohesive we stuck with some pretty tame colour choices. Throughout most of the upstairs there is a light grey on the walls, a classic white on the ceilings, and one or two statement walls in the rooms. For the nursery we went with a green that had a nice blueish tone to it. After much deliberation we made the decision against a crib. This is a weird one to anyone who hasn't heard of this method, but essentially we have a twin mattress on the ground. (If you want to read about the Montessori floor bed you can check out herehere, and here... but be warned the second link while very descriptive involves a bit of fear-mongering about cribs.)



We wanted the nursery to be a place of relaxation for both the babe and whoever is caring for him. Dan's wonderful parents got us the chair, we used a bookshelf we had in storage (that my late grandfather built... it may be a tad crooked), a mattress we already had, and we bought a new Ikea dresser to serve as a change table/storage unit.

A few weeks ago I finally hung the gallery wall with the help of my mother and her friend via iMessage photo communication. It includes different prints I have collected over time, a few pieces I created myself (can you guess which ones?), a beautiful cross stitched Peter Rabbit from my Grandma Ruth, the guestbook from babes baby shower, and Dan's owls (3/4 of them are local Albertan artists!). On the window wall we hung the happy chickens his auntie brought him from SE Asia (she missed his arrival because of her travels) and his "Oh Boy!" sign that she made him for his baby shower.



The completion of the pegboard was the manifestation of my "nesting" phase before I went into labour. I got it in my head that it NEEDED TO BE HUNG, TODAY. And sometimes I make these requests and they get put on the to do list but I demanded. It didn't get hung the day I wanted, but to be fair it was hung and functional the following day. I was on and off about this, but after looking through Pinterest I decided that it was not only cool but extremely functional. It has been wonderful for keeping all the diapers and creams and things organized, but we also hung all of the moccasin collection and other daily items on it for easy access to the adult beings in the house.

To say that I am pleased with the way the nursery has turned out would be an understatement. I am so glad that we have ended up with a space that feels calming but still interesting and fairly uncluttered... for the time being.

Furniture Items:

Chair: West Coast Kids
Shelf: Pre-owned
Dresser/change table: Ikea
Foot rest: Ikea
Pegboard/baskets: Home Depot
Art: owl 1owl 2





Comments

Popular Posts